The ISE Coding Garage is back! Soon I will be heading out to local high schools to recruit for our fifth summer. This year's ISE Coding Garage sessions will kick off on Tuesday, June 11th.
What is the ISE Coding Garage?
The ISE Coding Garage is a 9-week summer program for self-driven students with coding experience, to learn and create their own Android app. At the end of the summer the apps are voted on for a chance to win up to $300! Pizza, subs, and beverages are also provided each week.
Are there requirements?Yes, interested students should meet these requirements:
- Be a self-driven individual attending a local high school or homeschool
- Have a basic level of coding experience, either through a high school class, robotics, or self-learning
- Must be available to attend at least 6 of the 8 sessions
- Must be present for the final presentation (Tuesday, August 6th) to be eligible for prizes
What's new for 2019?
This summer participants may follow one of two paths depending on their level of experience and desire to learn more:
- The Introductory level is for students with some coding experience, either through a high school class, robotics, or learning on their own. At the end of the summer, they will have created their first mobile app using basic technologies and concepts.
- The Advanced level is for students who have created a mobile app, are comfortable with Java programming, or have a desire to develop a deeper skill set. They will explore more advanced topics such as integrating an app with cloud services, persisting mobile data with database storage, and using modern Android architecture components – and be eligible for more prize money.
You don’t need to decide right way. During the program you can determine if you want to pursue advanced topics and which ones you want to learn more about. It’s all up to you!
How much does it cost to participate?
Thanks to sponsorships from ISE, the University of Iowa Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, and Iowa City Area Development (ICAD), the program is FREE!