A couple months ago we published a high-level checklist we use to ensure the successful release of apps to the iOS App Store.
While the Play Store doesn't have the infamous review process or wait times, there are still many considerations to make. We use this Android version of the checklist to ensure successful Android launches as well.
We have divided the list into considerations in each of our four mobile development service offerings (Mobile Strategy, User Experience, Development, and Quality & Analytics).
- Decide Regions of Availability
- Decide target devices - Minimum version of Android, form factors, and several specific devices representative of target market (good to pick at least 1 Samsung and 1 non.)
- Name app and write listing description (translate into applicable languages)
- Determine applicable keywords for app, and any translations
- Determine monetization strategy – (Direct sale, subscription inside or outside app, ads)
- Allow up to 2 days for App review process
- Get all image assets needed for app interface
- Create wireframes and get client feedback using Sketch and Invision
- Ensure app designs meet Android User Interface Design Guidelines
- Determine display languages needed and get text translated and brought back into app
- Take screenshots of interface for every language and form factor – needed for store listing – screengrab is useful!
- Design a feature graphic for your listing (see https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/1078870?hl=en)
- Design app icon – create all resolutions needed (see User Interface Design Guidelines)
- Determine development tools to be used
- Standard is native development for each platform
- Xamarin is a good alternative
- If large amount of shared business logic
- If reason to use C# - existing codebase, developer familiarity, etc.
- Hybrid web content? Sometimes useful, avoid pitfalls:
- Entire app should not be just loading one or more websites
- Write unit tests especially for non-UI code
Quality & Analytics
- Automated Functional testing (calabash recommended)
- Google Analytics (Recommended – if used make sure to include privacy statement and opt in/out)
- Alpha/Beta Testing
- Continuous Integration Infrastructure
Have you found anything else useful to help in the app submission and launch process? Any questions on our list? Feel free to comment, we'd love to hear from you.